CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Melting Snowmen Make Cute Cookies!

"Frosty the Snowman, Knew the sun was hot that day, So he said let's run,  And we'll have some fun,  Now before I melt away..."



Back in November my friend Trish from Techniques by Trish made this card and it made me think of these super cute  cookies I just adore and really wanted to make.



So when the weather took a turn from this... 

to this...

  
It felt like the perfect time for the Melting Snowman Cookies!



Decorated cookies simple enough to do with the kids and a fun treat to boot! Here's how I put these guys together and you can too!

What You'll Need:

  • Sugar Cookie Dough (doesn't matter what kind, you make blobs with it)         
  • White, Orange, Black & 1 extra Color (for the scarves)Icing        
  • Large Marshmallows 
  • A sense of humor ;) 
Take your dough and make a blob and kind of flatten down on your cookie sheet, this is supposed to be a big puddle...


Once the big flat blobs are baked, make a puddle with the white icing. No right or wrong here, just make a messy melting puddle shape and you're in business.



(Warning, this part can get a bit messy) Next put your Marshmallows in the microwave just a few at a time and heat for 10-15 seconds. Just till they start to puff. I used a paper plate, so the sticky mess could just get tossed...



No need to wait for the base icing to dry. I just grabbed the top of a gooey mass of marshmallow goodness and plopped it on one side of each cookie and just slightly pressed it down. They are their own glue and stick perfectly... to the cookie, to your hands, to your counter, to your shirt, lol


To add your scarf adornment. I tried to make them kind of textured and lumpy so it was a little more scarf-like, once again this make it easier because you can do it somewhat messily and they look great. Now the next thing is not necessary, but comes from my cookie/cake decorating OCD. I brushed them with pearl dust, it's basically like an edible glimmer mist of sorts, just added some shine to my "snow"




Hard to see in a picture, but you get the idea. I love Pearl dust, have it in most every color, I get it at Michales and a little vial last forever, a little goes a long way!



Now for the final details, nose, mouth, eyes and personality!
Call it wishful thinking, but I kind of hope we are done with getting pounded with snow. It wouldn't surprise me if it comes back just as quickly as it went away though. Nonetheless the snowmen are melting for now and deserve to be celebrated in cookie form ;)


You can use any icing you want or even the food coloring markers for this part. Only thing I would say to stay away from is the "Gel" icing, those tiny little tubes in most grocery stores, that stuff runs like the dickens and will just annoy you. I use the Wilton ones only because I can attach all of my piping tips to their tubes, but those CakeMate tubes from the store with a set of the plastic tips they sell will work fine.




Helllp.....
They all end up being a little different. I decided the guys with the green scarves had figured it out. The guys in blue, well they're happily oblivious to their little coal buttons floating away!

 

Aren't they cute on their marshmallow snow? J and his buddies helped me with that one. I was trying and trying to get some decent photos to no avail and they were like "Hey, make marshmallow snow!" Brilliant little buggers running around here I tell ya ;)




No need to try making a triangle nose, just squeeze 3 times while pulling in the direction you want, stop, pull away and you have a carrot'ish shaped nose





Hope you enjoy,they make me smile, thanks for visiting and have a great week!

TTFN, Andrea

15 Chit Chat & Feedback:

sleeplesswonder

Those are just the cutest cookies ever. Those would be the only melting snowmen around here right now, we haven't had barely any snow all winter, now we are on day 2 of a storm. I will have to try these one day, looks simple enough for even me to make. :) ( I don't bake)
Hugs,
Melissa D
mkds312@hotmail.com

Linda

Oh very cute cookies Andrea, there about the closest to snow i will ever get.

Riley's Custom Creations

Oh these are so cute! My 2 1/2 year old would love them! TFS

Megan

These are soooooo cute!! You continue to amaze me with all of your creations. :)

JustJules

Love this idea!! Wonderful! TFS!

Stephie C

SO cute!!!

Trena

Those are the cutest cookies I've ever seen! I'm in the San Francisco area and there is nothing to melt around here!
TFS!!

Rhoda

This is so... cute! I love it and will add you to my blogs! http://srkindredspirits.blogspot.com

Angi

These are the cutest cookies! I saw the link to your blog from your Tip Junkie comment. Very nice blog:) Here is a link if you would like to check mine out http://creativebliss-angi.blogspot.com/. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Scrappy Mel

So adorable!! What a great idea - so fun! :)

Jennifer

What a fun idea!!! :) I'll have to try those with the kids!

Thank you so much for sharing,

Jennifer
partridgelu at yahoo dot com

aud1inok

I love these cookies and your blog!

I have a Stylish Blogger award waiting for you...

Trisha

these are just sooo stinkin cute!!! Im glad my card inspired you to create these adorable and humorous cookies :)

Mari AKA Momo

These are the cutest cookies EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you flippin kidding me these are amazing! Your amazing! Love ya! XOXO Momo

Krista's Paper Cafe

Too cute!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...